Saturday, December 20, 2008

waiting...waiting...waiting - Deland Florida

As fate would have it, I got a great paying load out of Miami that picked up today and was going to Memphis, Tn.  Floral load and it was HOT.  Well, as fate would also have it, as I was pulling into the shipper to park overnight last night, my Qualcomm goes off and danged if this load didn't get cancelled.  Got another load right away, though, this one picking up today in Deland, Florida.  Pays about half as much as the cancelled floral load, but what ya gonna do, right?  So, instead of being able to get a good night sleep last night, I had to deadhead 240 miles to this pick up in Deland.  This is where the story gets good.

Pickup time here at the 90 is 1:00pm this afternoon.  Of course, I'm here at 3am as I drove from Miami last night.  Get here and the person here says they will come and get me when they are ready for me, which means to me I can sleep till the little Cuban man comes and knocks on my door telling me to pull in a door somewhere.  So, that is what I do.  

Get to sleep and around 9am, I hear this banging on my drivers door.  GREAT, I think...I'm getting loaded early...awesome.  He tells me to back into door 3, which is really door 4 but with a big red 3 painted on it.  He says it is a system they have.  Too early for me to actually think about it so I just ask him to point at the right spot and Ill hit it.

I get backed in and settle down with the computer to read some of my favorite blogs (You remember, the ones to the right over there --------------------> in that link box?).  10am rolls around and I feel the trailer start to shake and shimmy and know that the load is on its way into my trailer.  Ill be outta here really soon.  Um, NO!

11:00am gets here and the trailer has moved maybe 4 times with them putting the load in.  This is going SLOW!  I'm wondering if they are having to make the product before they load it.  12, 1, 2, 3, now 3:15pm and I'm still sitting here as I watch other trucks come in, get loaded and go.  I finally got a bit upset about it and went and asked the little Cuban guy to "Vomanos".  He didn't like me after that.   It seems like I went and messed up his siesta and he actually had to load the trailer.  He told me they only had "quatro" more pallets to load and it would be about an hour more.  An HOUR?  for FOUR pallets?  

So, here I sit.  Waiting.  And waiting.  And waiting.  Ive cleaned the windows on the truck.  Even Windex the lights all the way around.  Read all my blogs and favorite sites on the Internet, even read some of those books you get at the truck stops that advertise all the jobs you can get in there.  I'm STILL bored.  

Been here for almost 12 hours now and I'm getting a little hungry and stir crazy.  There is only so much hunger that potato chips and Chef-Boy-Ardee ravioli is gonna relieve.  I need SUBSTANCE.  

I cant WAIT to leave here and get a Sub.

Be safe out there!

1 comment:

Lynette said...

Hello PrimeTime! Thank you for the comments on the blog... I'm glad someone finds the humor in some of the stuff that happens on the road that I choose to write about! It's always hilarious in our truck! Be safe and Merry Christmas to ya!! Lynette and Trapper (livingotr.com)